UST Education High School (1950)
Sustained Quality Education
The Education High School has been a top performing school in its given cluster ever since the National Achievement Test was administered by the Department of Education.
The Education High School commits itself to the task of participating in the evangelizing work of the Church by providing students with quality Catholic Education and by imbuing with the virtues of truth and love as espoused by the Angelic Doctor, St. Thomas Aquinas.
The Education High School seeks to evolve into one of the leading Catholic secondary institutions of learning in the country by strengthening and revitalizing the curriculum, faculty updating, and networking with other institutions in the educational community.
Rationale and Objectives of the Education High School
The Education High School, distinct and independent from the UST High School, serves as a laboratory high school for the training and formation of future Catholic teachers who are not only competent in teaching but also sensitive to the national and educational goals in general and to the University’s goal in particular. It also seeks to extend opportunities to gifted high school students who belong to financially challenged families to the minimal fees charged upon them.
Student Organizations Patron Saint
Feast Day: August 25
Saint Joseph of Calasanz was born on September 11, 1557, in Aragon. During his early years, his parents provided him with good education and later on, he went to different universities to take higher studies, such as Philosophy and Law.
Saint Joseph of Calasanz became an ordained priest on December 17, 1583. He founded the Pious schools and the Religious Order known as the Piarists, the oldest Catholic Educational Order that provided free education for the poor.
God gave Calasanz some natural gifts and a family context which allowed him to have a long and positive Christian and cultural education. God called him to be a priest, a ministry that he practiced in various curial and pastoral missions. Nine years after his ordination as a priest, he went to Rome, where he was struck by the misery of the youth in the poorest suburb of the city.
After seeing the miserable children in the poorest town in Rome, Saint Joseph recognized God’s calling; he used his educational attainment as an instrument of faith. This is the context where his vocation was originated. He heard the voice of God calling him: “Joseph, give yourself for the poor. Teach these children and take care of them”.
However, his idea of pedagogy—and also his stance on Galileo Galilei’s revolutionary and controversial claim of Heliocentric Cosmology—had him questioned by the Inquisition. Nonetheless, he remained faithful to the Church until his death on August 25, 1648.
On August 7, 1748, Saint Joseph was beatified by Pope Benedict XIV and later on, he was canonized by Pope Clement XIII on July 16, 1767.
The School Seal
- THE FLAME OF THE TORCH – signifies light: the symbol which inspires the Education High School to realize its Vision-Mission
- THE TORCH – which holds the light as signified by the flame is the virtue prudence: the queen, the cause, and measure of all virtues, necessary to make the light shine through to all.
- THE BOOK – represents Catholic Education
- THE CIRCLE – symbolizes the school’s endless effort to pursue its objectives;
- THE SCALLOP BORDERING THE SEAL – represent the eight beatitudes of the Gospel emphasizing the foundation of the Education High School’s every action.
The Education High School (EHS) is a separate institution from the UST High School. EHS was established to give quality Catholic education to those deserving students who cannot afford to pay the fees required by other schools. It also serves as the training ground for fourth year BSE students of the College of Education. This laboratory school was established during the time of Rector Magnificus Rev. Fr. Angel De Blas, O.P. through the help of the Dean of the College of Education, Rev. Fr. Aurelio Valbuena, and Mrs. Caridad Z. Sevilla, the EHS principal and the different critic teachers of the College of Education. Classes commenced on August 1, 1950.
A number of faculty members from the College comprised the first set of critic teachers for the different subject areas in the EHS. They were: Dr. Mercedes G. Santamaria, Dr. Clemencia J. Colayco, Dr. Rosario D. Bondoc, Miss Concepcion Leonor, Mrs. Antonia P. Villanueva, Miss Consuel Perdices and Miss Nina Custodio.
The first regular teachers were Miss Concepcion Alba, Mrs. Salud P. Belmonte, Mrs. Salome Castillo, Miss Rosario Mauricio, Miss Lourdes Z. Sevilla and Miss Teresita R. Villamil.
There were 361 students in the first enrolment of the EHS. There were ten (10) sections in the first year, two (2) sections for the second year and two (2) sections for the second year and two (2) for the third year. Half of those sections were attended in the morning by girls, half in the afternoon by boys.
In order to give authentic religious and practical leadership training and to strengthen unity and cooperation among the students, religious and secular organizations were founded. Among them were Student Catholic Action Units for the boys and girls and the Knights of Jesus for the Boys. Mr. Arturo De Leon served as their Adviser. The Boy Scouts were adopted to give some training to male students.
Through the years, the EHS has been in the forefront of championing the cause of Catholic education in the Secondary School level. As the University of Santo Tomas enters its 405nd Year, the EHS will continue to put a premium on developing competence, commitment, and community involvement coupled with the core values of patriotism, respect, piety, responsibility, simplicity, honesty, integrity and justice among its students.
Give And You Shall Receive!
"For it is in giving that we receive." - Saint Francis of Assisi.